Henry Ellis Warren (May 21, 1872-September 21, 1957) was an American inventor credited with invention of the first synchronous electric clock which kept time from the oscillations of the power grid in 1918 as well as with 134 other inventions. Warren founded Warren Telechron Company in 1912 which later was acquired by General Electric in 1943. Warren was noted as "the father of the electric time". Just between 1916 and 1926 the company sold 20 million clocks. The clocks remained popular into 1950s. In 1940 he also invented the "singing clock" which instead of a pendulum had a vibrating metal string. Warren was born in Boston and attended the Allen School. Warren graduated from Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1894 with degree of Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering.
In 1957, his widow, Edith Smith Warren, donated 40 acres of their farm in Ashland, Massachusetts to Northeastern University. The grounds were named the Warren Center for Physical Education and Recreation and hosted an overnight summer camp, Camp Henry Warren, for handicapped and underprivileged children, and children of Northeastern University staff. Children were recommended for the camp by programs, such as the YMCA and the Boy's Club of Boston. In 1964, the Charles Hayden Foundation, an organization devoted to the physical, mental, and moral development of children, gave $100,000 to the Warren Center, which was used to build service buildings, roads, and a parking area, small beach, water and sewage system, and playing field. The overnight summer camp was later called Camp Narepadee and then Camp Nor'easter.
In 1965, a day camp was established in conjunction with Roxbury Work and Study Project. At the dedication of the Warren Center in 1967, the Warren Benevolent Society, founded by Edith Warren, donated an additional 104 acres to the University. The Charles Hayden Foundation donated another $400,000 to build a central lodge, several cottages, and more playing fields. Following the dedication, the Warren Center was operated by the Boston-Bouvé College of Northeastern University, which used the Center to train students and teachers of physical education. Physical education majors of Boston-Bouvé staffed the camps to fulfill their requirements. The grounds were also rented to organizations, such as the Golden Age Club, Campfire Girls, church groups, and local firemen. In 1992, The Warren Center became the Warren Conference Center. It is now used for meetings, trainings, and gatherings by both private companies and Northeastern University. Since 1992, the Warren Conference Center has been continually renovated and has expanded its facilities to include more overnight guest rooms, more meeting rooms, and a waterfront.